It is important to remember that car insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. It is the job of the representatives of these large insurance companies to offer as little money as possible. One of the most common questions asked after a car accident concerns how to handle car insurance companies. A Dallas car accident attorney is experienced in working with auto insurance companies and will do so on your behalf.
How To Work With Auto Insurance Companies
After a car accident, it is standard procedure for your insurance company to evaluate the damage and any injuries. Insurance companies do this in order to determine what settlement amount will meet your needs. Common insurance company behaviors include:
- Gather information from the accident, including police reports and perhaps medical information
- Speak with witnesses who may have seen the accident
- Get quotes on damages to the vehicles
- Determine a monetary amount that you may be owed
- Negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company if the accident was not your fault
Truthfully, the insurance process can be very complicated. When you consider that you may have to deal with both your own insurance company and that of the other driver, it can be an incredibly overwhelming process. A Dallas car accident attorney is trained and experienced in handling such cases. He or she knows how to work with insurance companies. Your lawyer’s job is to negotiate a settlement that is best suited to your needs.
Have you been approached by an insurance company regarding a settlement? Has an insurance company denied your claim? If so, these are some things that you should know:
- Insurance companies will always try to settle for as little money as possible.
- Large insurance companies that represent commercial vehicle drivers do not have your interests in mind.
- Insurance companies may be wrong and can make mistakes when evaluating evidence.
- You have the right to question any settlement that is offered and to pursue a better one, if needed.
- Insurance payouts are separate from any potential personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
- Do not agree to any terms until you have spoken with a qualified attorney.
If you have been denied the recompense that you deserve or if you have been offered an inadequate settlement, do not give up hope. You need the help of someone who is unafraid of challenging large insurance companies and who will always represent your best interests.