It seems like everyone has a cell phone. It wasn’t that long ago when cell phones were a rarity. However, today, cell phones are extremely common and unfortunately, are a cause of accidents. Have you been injured in a car accident that was caused by a negligent driver? Cell phone car accidents can have very serious repercussions, but you do not have to suffer alone. Call a Dallas car accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident.
What’s A Cell Phone Car Accident?
When you think about car accidents caused by cell phones, you may think about texting and driving. While this does contribute to many accidents, it is not the only way in which a cell phone can contribute to an accident. Some other ways include:
- Dialing a number while driving
- Entering an address into a phone’s GPS system
- Surfing Facebook or doing social media while driving
- Texting and driving
- Talking on the phone and not paying attention
- Glancing at a smart phone map while driving
These are just some of the ways in which a cell phone can lead to distracted or negligent driving. Cell phones, particularly smart phones, have many useful purposes for drivers. However, the risks and dangers may outweigh the benefits of these pieces of modern technology. A Dallas car accident attorney may be able to help you seek financial compensation if you have been injured in a car accident caused by a mobile device.
An iPhone itself is not dangerous. However, using a cell phone while driving a vehicle can cause some of the following reckless behaviors:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to check for blind spots when changing lanes
- Turning without properly signaling
- Abrupt stops or turns
Any of these behaviors cause serious accidents that leave other motorists injured or dead. It has been reported that distracted driving causes one in four accidents in Texas. Cell phone use is the front-runner cause of distracted driving.
Texas Laws Regarding Cell Phone Use
Currently, Texas has no statewide law that prohibits the use of cell phones while driving. However, there are several things that you should know about cell phones while driving in Texas:
- No driver with a learning permit license is allowed to use a cell phone while driving.
- Drivers under 19 are prohibited from using any kind of wireless device while driving.
- School bus drivers are not allowed to use cell phones.
- Cell phones are not allowed in school zones.
- There are several counties that have their own prohibitions on cell phone use while driving.
If you or your family was involved in an accident and you know the driver was ignoring the law, you may be eligible for a monetary settlement. Cell phone car accidents can have very serious physical, monetary and emotional consequences. You do not have to face the situation alone because a Dallas car accident attorney is waiting to help you.