Bicycle riders are extremely vulnerable to injury when they are involved in motor vehicle accidents. Cyclists are exposed to the elements with none of the typical road vehicle safety systems like safety belts, air bags and a sturdy metal frame. Because of this, cyclists are much more likely to die than others when they collide with road vehicles
In Texas, like the rest of the country, bicycles are allowed on the road. The problem though, is many drivers don’t recognize the rights of bicycle riders, and sometimes they even ignore their rights. Most accidents involving motor vehicles and bicycles are caused by negligence on the part of the driver of the motor vehicle. Cyclists sometimes travel slowly in large groups. This can frustrate drivers of faster vehicles. Often, drivers become impatient with bicycles and proceed to drive recklessly in an attempt to get around the bike. This behavior needlessly puts everyone at risk, especially bikers.
Causes Of Bicycle Accidents
Many bicycle accidents in the Dallas area are caused by driver negligence. Typical negligent behaviors that cause car accidents include:
- Drivers becoming impatient with cyclists and dangerously trying to pass them
- Opening the car door into the path of an oncoming bicycle
- Not checking blind spots before making a turn
- Failing to use turn signals
- Insufficient space allowed when passing a bicycle
- Speeding in the vicinity of a bicycle
What To Do After A Bicycle Accident
When a car accident involving a bicycle has occurred, there are things that should and should not be done. Ensuring the safety of the injured is the most important thing to do. Some simple rules to follow:
- Do not attempt to move injured riders unless it is unsafe to leave them where they fall.
- Never remove a rider’s helmet because of the risk of head or neck injury.
- Call the emergency services as soon as possible.
- Stay with the injured victim until help arrives.
- Keep the victim calm and alert by talking to him or her.
Injuries From Bicycle Accidents
As is true with motorcycle accidents, there is a greater chance of severe injuries when a bicycle is involved in a crash. Some of the injuries possible from a bicycle accident include:
- Road rash and skin abrasions
- Broken bones
- Internal trauma
- Brain damage
- Back and spinal injuries
- Traumatic fatal injuries
In addition to the devastating injuries that can come from an accident, there is a psychological toll that many people also suffer. People worry about rising medical expenses or adjusting to a new life with permanent injuries. Maybe a family is mourning the loss of a loved one. If you or a loved one has been involved in this type of accident, you have the right to explore your options, and you deserve to have the peace of mind that comes from knowing someone is working for you.